In episode #19 of Kannaway Champions with Nick Lowery, Director of Kannaway Sports and NFL Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Famer Nick Lowery interviews Andy Vargas, masterful vocalist and lead singer of legendary rock band, Santana.
Mr. Vargas has been on over 20 world tours, selling out arenas across the globe. He has also recorded or performed with music legends including Patti Labelle, Enrique Iglesias, The Black Eyed Peas, Herby Hancock, Doobie Brothers, and many more.
In this special New Year's Resolutions broadcast of Kannaway Champions with Nick Lowery, Andy Vargas offers the Kannaway community his inspirational insight on overcoming adversity, performing at a high level under pressure situations, and the power of connecting passion with purpose.
Some of the other major lessons in the episode include:
- When doors open, bring your heart and spirit as you walk through. As you make new relationships that lead to opportunities, you'll want to walk through the doors that open while maintaining your own true self.
- Follow your heart and intuition. Don't be afraid to challenge the meta data and sometimes go with your heart, gut, and spiritual intuition.
- Walk into a room "big." As you face high pressure situations, adjust your posture so that you appear confident in yourself and your abilities.
- Love what you do and you'll have a stronger confidence in self. You'll feel better about yourself and be better able to handle high pressure situations if you're always having fun and working with a smile on your face.
- Leave it all on the stage. Be ready to roll with unexpected situations and challenges with a determination to always give your all in presentations or performances.
You can also watch this new episode on YouTube.
We've curated a selection of some of the memorable and quotable moments from the interview with Andy Vargas:
“My record did not get released, but where fate had it was Carlos [Santana] ended up hearing that song, Oye Como Vas, my rendition.” - Andy Vargas
“That vibration, that ability to identify and be in sync with one's self and one's purpose, it's so important in life. But nothing embodies it more than music.” - Nick Lowery
“I was introduced to some people who just started opening some doors and we have to walk through those doors and bring our heart and spirit through those doors. ” - Andy Vargas
"I've rolled the dice to get here so far, so I'm going to continue to roll the dice. And I believe, and I still believe, that the artist's heart, to see the artist through, that's when you really get the artists that have longevity, that are timeless." - Andy Vargas
"I like the idea that we all are sculpted in our sense of what we can and can't do, like a kicker in an NFL game, by those moments of truth. Lining up a field goal in a matter of a few seconds or a couple minutes." - Nick Lowery
"I'm grateful to have been around guys that shrug [high pressure] off their shoulders. They're like, musicians? It's all about the groove, the move, the vibe." - Andy Vargas
"It's about the confidence in self, but not just that. It's not about being like 'I'm a badass,' it's about 'I enjoy what I do.'" - Andy Vargas
"It's just about, get up and leave it all on the stage, you know?" - Andy Vargas
Kannaway Champions with Nick Lowery is a bi-weekly digital series featuring interviews with world-class athletes and forward-thinking entrepreneurs that’s meant to provide our Kannaway Brand Ambassadors (BAs) and other entrepreneurs with insight and inspiration as they move in the desired direction to reach their own entrepreneurial goals. Episodes premiere on Facebook Live on Wednesdays at 12 pm PST.
You can watch previous episodes of Kannaway Champions with Nick Lowery on the Kannaway Facebook page.